Monday, March 06, 2006

A New Phase


It's with bittersweet sympathy that I say that our 12 day shoot ends tonight. 12 days really doesn't sound like a lot, but considering that we were at it everyday (and keeping up with school), it was extremely tiring. During this week I learned much more about filmmaking than I thought I had already known. It's hard when you are the producer, director, cinematographer, set design / art design, gaffer, electrician, technician, and editor all rolled into one. Now I really understand why major films have super large budgets for all these people. I wish we would have had a bigger, more consistent crew to help out, but we somehow managed. Hopefully we got a few cool shots in our 1400 ft. of 35mm that we ended up shooting. Our final shot is tonight, and it is actually going to be my favorite shot of the whole film if it turns out. When you see the film you should know which one it is.

On Wednesday we will be traveling up to Filmworkers in Dallas to watch all of our footage, so I'll be eager until then. We also will get to work with a professional colorist and we will transfer everything to HD. The transfer isn't cheap, and now that I'm thinking about it- we could have shot the whole thing on DV for $5, but we really wanted something like this to be something that people would remember for the visual quality for years to come. Wish us luck.

Another note: hopefully the week after spring break we will have a "trailer" up on the website. Now by "trailer" I mean more of a preview because I don't want to turn this into a commercially-infused thing.